Thursday 17 September 2015

The Difference Between A Christian and A Born Again Christian; Part One

Lots of us don't really know the difference between being a Christian and a born again Christian. Last Sunday, Pastor Anthony at Relevant Church right here in Hørsholm, Denmark, gave a beautiful sermon titled "Christ In Us". And the call point of this sermon was that; "To have Christ in you is what it means to be a Christian", those were his words but I would like to add on by saying... To be a born-again Christian is to have Christ in you. I will go deeper with that in a moment.

Are you a Christian?  First of all, I would like to say that, Christianity is a religion, just like Islam, Hindu etc. If someone asks you that question, you answer based on your "religion", its the same as asking you; "what is your religion?" if you are an atheist, you would say; I am an atheist (many atheist would just say, I don't have a religion), or if you are a Muslim, you will say; Islam. All of us belong to some religion of some sort., even Satanism is a religion but I want to differentiate the difference between being a "Religious Christian and a Born Again Christian".

Religious Christianity is what we all once were or still are. I will give an example, I asked a friend I recently met if he was a Christian and his answer was, "Yes, that's my religion". Many people today, especially here in Europe believe that they are Christians because they were born in a Christian family or because their country is a Christian nation, but they don't even know what it means to be a Christian. Here in Denmark for example, I attended a confirmation ceremony...,its a tradition were teens have to sort of "Confirm that they are Christians at age between 13 and 16. I don't understand what all that means, but my point is being born in a Christian family or nation or some sort of tradition, doesn't make you are Christian. Other people believe that doing good deeds or funding some charitable organisations makes them a Christian. First of all, to be a Christian is to be Christ-Like.. (thats another topic for another day).

Lets look at what Jesus is saying in the book of John 3:3
3. Jesus answered, "I am telling you the truth: no one can see the kingdom of God without being born again".
and in the following scripture, Jesus says what it means to be born again.. Lets take a look at John 3:5-6
 5."I am telling you the truth, "replied Jesus. "No one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. 6. A person is born physically of human parents, but is born spiritually of the Spirit.
And for a better understanding, I would rather you start reading the same scripture from verse 1 to 7 (John 3:1-7). Jesus was explaining to Nicodemus what it is to be a born again Christian. I will go deep and explain in next article; "The Difference Between A Christian and A Born Again Christian; Part Two .If you consider yourself a Christian but not sure if you are a born again Christian, look out for my next article and I will explain what it really means to be a born again Christian.

*I use the Good News Bible.

You are Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment